To create a second, undocked configuration for your portable (for example, one configuration has a printer and the other does not), follow these steps:
1. Make sure your computer is in the configuration you want, and then use the right mouse button to click the My Computer icon.
2. Click Properties, and then click the Configuration tab.
3. Select the undocked configuration, and then choose Copy.
4. Select the new configuration and give it a unique name.
5. Go to Device Manager and click Refresh. This will re-enumerate all the hardware devices on your system and build the new configuration.